Saturday, March 19, 2011

Here, then gone!

A few Sundays ago, a friend came to church, served in children's ministry, participated in worship, then went shopping before heading home. She never made it. While in a store, she collapsed and died en route to the hospital from a massive stroke. She didn't know when she got up that morning, she would be dead in a few short hours.

When I heard the news, my heart rejoiced for her heavenly homecoming, but I wondered about the last words she spoke. Would she have said something different if she knew those words would be her final ones?

I'm a writer, and I love words, but I've often used them negatively in anger, or frustration. What power we possess through our speech...power and opportunity...opportunity to bless or to curse.

Of course I want to be remembered for the words of blessing I've spoken, words full of grace and mercy. One of the first scripture verses I learned was from proverbs. " Whoever guards his mouth and tongue, keeps his soul from trouble." When I fill my heart with kindness, mercy and things of good report, my mouth reflects it. "Not what goes into the mouth, but what comes out of the mouth defiles a man."

When my final appointment with destiny comes, I hope my friends, family and my readers will remember my final words with a smile or two. Until then, I will be practicing.

1 comment:

  1. Sharon, I know exactly what you mean. I often catch myself raising my voice in anger, berating the driver in front of me, talking negatively about my husband... I have realized lately, that this is not the way to make my mark on the world. I don't want my children or my friends to remember me this way. I want to be remembered as loving and full of grace and mercy and passion. I've felt God tugging at me about this, you have just echoed the voice of God and reminded me once again! Thank you!

    ReplyDelete

Followers